Wednesday, January 26, 2011

hmm... where did i leave that 1/2" socket?

my front ends got a stiffy... wait lemme rephrase that... my front end got stiffer... shit thats no good either.


I modified my front forks today based off a suggestion a fellow enthusiast gave me. what was originally going to be a preload spacer to take some of the mush out of the front suspension, became a lesson in clearing out the tool box.
I haven't had to use a standard socket or wrench in a very long time. every xmas when i asked for tools from my folks i always got the same thing. a xxx piece socket and wrench set. so i had doubles of EVERYTHING.
the inital idea was to take a 1/2" section of steel and install it between the cap and the top spring of the front forks to compress the springs and give a little more rigidity. an hour of fucking with that got me no where. all the piping i had was the same size as the i.d. of the cap. I also tried replacing the spring with a complete section of pipe. same problem and the pipe was even longer so i couldn't get the cap back on. i dug through the tool box and found 2 sockets that i had at least 5 of the same size and depth and 2 socket extensions that were the same legnth. capped them together and slide them down. caps went right back on and the front end feels good minus the air that i haven't pumped back in *freakin' hose!

No comments:

Post a Comment